ATSEA Participation in ISOI Annual Meeting 2011
The Indonesian Society of Oeanologists (Ikatan Sarjana Oseanologi Indonesia – ISOI) is a professional scientific organization dealing with marine sciences in Indonesia, established in 1973. Starting from 2004 ISOI organizes routine annual meeting where ocean scientists from various regions in Indonesia meet and discuss their findings on various aspects marine sciences. The 8th Annual Scientific Meeting (Pertemuan Ilmiah Tahunan – PIT) was convened in Makassar, South Sulawesi, on 25 – 27 September 2011 with a theme: “Seas for People’s Welfare”.
The scientific meeting was officially opened by the Governor of South Sulawesi (Dr. Syahrul Yasin Limpo) at Hotel Sahid Jaya, Makassar. More than 200 participants attended the meeting and about 150 papers were presented which may be grouped into 12 major topics, such as land-sea-atmosphere interaction, biological resources, marine pollution, climate change, marine geosciences etc. ATSEA Program was participated in this event by organized a parallel session to present the results of research activities that has been done in Arafura and Timor Seas, including the latest Second ATSEA cruise.
Beside the seminar event, ATSEA was also participating in the booth exhibition to present the latest publication of research activities conducted in Arafura and Timor Seas.
The objectives of ATSEA Participation at Indonesia Oceanologist Association (ISOI) Annual Meeting are:
- Brief presentation of ATSEF and ATSEA Program, activity and implenetation.
- Presentation and discussion the result of ATSEA Cruises I & II and field observation on socio-economic in east Indonesia.
- Gathering marine and fisheries data and information from other sources outside of ATSEA.
The expected output of this ATSEA Participation at Indonesia Oceanologist Association (ISOI) National Meeting will be:
- ATSEF and ATSEA will be well known among marine and fisheries society.
- The result of ATSEA Program will used as scientific basic for resources management.
- Enrich the marine and fisheries information in ATSEA region that have been collected by ATSEA.
The expected outcome of this meeting is a better performance and contribution of ATSEF in managing environment and resources in Arafura and Timor Seas region.
ATSEA session in ISOI (26 October 2011)
13:30 – 13:45 Opening
13:45 – 14:00 Biophysics profile of Arafura and Timor Seas.
14:00 – 14:15 ATSEA Cruise 2 Result.
14:15 – 14:30 Climate change
14.30 – 15.00 Discussion
15.00 – 15.15 B r e a k
15.15 – 15.30 Red snapper fishery in Arafura Sea
15.30 – 15.45 Coastal community socio-economics in MTB regency
15.45 – 15.30 Closing